Framework of Assignments
Under the Public Service Management Act 1997, certain duties are assigned to the Secretary General within the Department (section 4 (1), 9 (1) & 9 (2)), including, but not limited to:
- managing the Department;
- implementing Government policies appropriate to the Department;
- delivering outputs as determined with the Minister;
- providing advice to the Minister and using resources so as to meet the requirements of the Comptroller and Auditor General (Amendment) Act, 1993 in relation to regularity and propriety as well as to economy, efficiency and effectiveness;
- preparing Statements of Strategy for submission to the Minister;
- providing progress reports to the Minister on the implementation of the Statement of Strategy;
- ensuring proper use of resources and the provision of cost-effective public services;
- making sure arrangements are in place to maximise efficiency in cross departmental matters;
- preparing an outline of how specific responsibilities are to be assigned so as to ensure that the functions performed on behalf of the Minister are performed by an appropriate officer, or an officer of an appropriate grade or rank down through the Department; and
- managing matters relating to appointments, performance, discipline and dismissal of civil servants below the grade of Principal or its equivalent
The list of duties specified in the Public Services Management Act 1997 (the Act) while extensive, are not necessarily exhaustive and the Secretary General may also be required, under the Act, to carry out other functions on behalf of the Minister. While the Secretary General may delegate responsibility and accountability by way of assignment (where each officer is accountable to the Secretary General), he/she retains ultimate responsibility and accountability for the actions of the Department, irrespective of the delegation of assigned responsibilities.
Section 4(1) and 9(2) of the Act empowers the Secretary General to assign to officers of the Department (or grade or grades of officer) responsibility for the performance of his or her functions. The revised framework, as set out in this document, constitutes a consolidated statement as at May 2017 of all assignments under the Act by the Secretary General of the Department of Finance.